- Edinburgh City
Do you have to ask people to repeat what they say, to turn up the volume on your TV or find it difficult to follow conversations in a group situation? Attending lipreading classes may help.
Deaf Action’s lipreading classes:
- are for adults aged 16+ with any degree of hearing loss and who use spoken English to communicate with other people.
- are informal, friendly and fun!
- are taught by experienced teachers of lipreading to adults. Our tutors will encourage you to have a laugh and relax.
- can help you rebuild some of the confidence that you may have lost through your deafness.
- are a great way to do something positive and practical about managing your hearing loss.
- provide you with the opportunity for self-help, mutual support and friendship with people who understand your problems.
- help you learn about the different shapes that sounds make on the lips.
- help you learn about which sounds look the same on the lips and how to use context and other clues to help you tell the difference.
- include other communication tactics that can support lipreading and that encourage you to manage your hearing loss more effectively, eg the best place to position yourself in a group.
- offer opportunities to discuss problems and solutions to everyday situations such as having a meal in a restaurant or going to the doctors.
- are a great source of information about specialist equipment and services available.
Whatever your degree of deafness…
Whether or not you have hearing aids…
Whatever your age…
Why not give our lipreading classes a try?
Our classes are organised by our Tayside office.
4 Francis Street,
Dundee, DD3 8HH
Tel: 01382 221 124
Text: 01382 227 052
Fax: 01382 200 025
SMS: 07795 338 231