- Edinburgh City
Do you have to ask people to repeat what they say, to turn up the volume on your TV or find it difficult to follow conversations in a group situation? Attending lipreading classes may help.
Deaf Action’s lipreading classes:
– are for adults aged 16+ with any degree of hearing loss and who use spoken English to communicate with other people.
– are taught by experienced teachers of lipreading to adults. Our tutors will encourage you to have a laugh and relax
– can help you rebuild some of the confidence that you may have lost through your deafness.
– provide you with the opportunity for self-help, mutual support and friendship with people who understand your problems.
– help you learn about the different shapes that sounds make on the lips.
– help you learn about which sounds look the same on the lips and how to use context and other clues to help you tell the difference.
– include other communication tactics that can support lipreading and that encourage you to manage your hearing loss more effectively, eg the best place to position yourself in a group.
– offer opportunities to discuss problems and solutions to everyday situations such as having a meal in a restaurant or going to the doctors.
Whatever your degree of deafness… Whether or not you have hearing aids… Whatever your age… Why not give our lipreading classes a try?
Venue: Royal National Institute for the Blind, 12-14 Hillside Crescent, Edinburgh, EH7 5EA
Starts: Mon 1st October 2018
Time: 10.30 – 12.30 or 13.15 – 15.15
Venue: The Christian Centre 28 Glasgow Road Perth PH2 ONX
Starts: Friday 19th October 2018
Time: 13.00 – 15.00
Venue: St Clair Lounge Pathhead Parish Church Halls, Harriet Street, Kirkcaldy, KY1 2AG
Starts: Friday 5th October 2018
Time: 10.00 – 12.00 or 13.00 – 15.00
Venue: Sangobeg House, Francis Street, DD3 8H
Starts: Please note this Wednesday class is currently full
Time: 10:30 – 12:30
Our classes are organised by our Tayside office.
4 Francis Street,
Dundee, DD3 8HH
Tel: 01382 221 124
Text: 01382 227 052
Fax: 01382 200 025
SMS: 07795 338 231